False Idols

False Idols - Alexis Grove

False Idols is a futuristic, near apocalyptic novel set in an alternate reality Earth. Sarah Fenton was taken from an orphanage and drafted into a super secret military organization, one whose purpose is totally unknown to any of the new recruits.

Nick Lal has just received his Mind Wave implant, granting him near-super powers, an enhancement only given to a select few who are wealthy enough to afford it. He falls in with the small group of others who have gotten Mind Waves, a group headed by Laura Mayer.

Nick begins to train with Laura to learn how to use his Mind Wave at the same time Sarah is learning to use hers. While Nick's was a gift from his parents, Laura's was implanted by her trainers.

As Laura teaches Nick about the Aeons and the gifts the implants grant, he starts to wonder just what Laura's intentions really are. Is she trying to help the Nats, what the Aeons have taken to calling natural humans, or is she trying to implement the downfall of society?

Sarah learns, or is told by her handlers, that Laura truly is trying to destabilize the government. And it is up to her and her team to stop Laura before the US collapses from the desperation of the citizens.

False Idols is the first book in a new series by Alexis Grove, and is a pretty enjoyable read. The pacing is ok, there's a hint of a love interest between Sarah and Nick, and there's just enough of a cliffhanger to make you want to continue reading. There were certainly some bits that were a slog to get through, but I think it was worth it. The characters weren't super well developed, especially Laura, but I think the mystery surrounding Laura and her true interests is a critical plot point that will eventually be revealed.

I'd recommend the book for High School and above. It could be rather difficult for younger readers to get involved with, as there are several plots running at the same time. It wasn't difficult enough to need a map to keep track of the players by a long shot though. The subterfuge could also be uninteresting for younger readers as well.

Certainly worth reading, and I'm looking forward to see where the series goes. A fairly firm 3 1/2 stars. I was also provided an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.